Saturday, August 26, 2006

Happy Birthday Linux

Linux is now 15 years old and it was born by Linus Torvalds when he was a college students in 1991. It was only a small project and now, it has been developed by hundreds of people around the world to provide the most stable, flexible and secure linux kernel available. Here's his message when he introduced Linux for the first time:
"Hello everybody out there using minix -

I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing since April, and is starting to get ready. I'd like any feedback on things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat (same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons) among other things).

I've currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work. This implies that I'll get something practical within a few months, and I'd like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions are welcome, but I won't promise I'll implement them :-)

Linus (torva...@kruuna.helsinki.fi)

PS. Yes - it's free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs. It is NOT portable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(. "

Right now, it's not a small anymore and it's huge project. A lot of vendors have tried to contribute to make their product runs smoothly in any GNU/Linux distro. Not only that, even big vendors such as HP is willing to gave their product to support the Linux kernel developments. Everybody is enjoying the development of Linux kernel.

Happy Birthday Linux!!!
Without you, there won't be any Slackware Linux that i like :D

No comments:

Post a Comment