Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Problem Upgrading Kernel

I have tried to upgrade to Kernel 2.6.17.7 twice and it ended with failure on make modules. The error was related to dvb and i was just going to report it again to Chris Wright (I already send an error message to him when i had my first failure), but today i was an update on the stable kernel and i saw that the kernel's incremental changelog has posted about this:
commit 93257abd22720f4508e134e31c3f172c6c898d68
Author: Andrew de Quincey <adq_dvb@lidskialf.net>
Date: Tue Jul 25 13:07:13 2006 -0400

Fix budget-av compile failure

Currently I am doing lots of refactoring work in the dvb tree. This
bugfix became necessary to fix 2.6.17 whilst I was in the middle of this
work. Unfortunately after I tested the original code for the patch, I
generated the diff against the wrong tree (I accidentally used a tree
with part of the refactoring code in it). This resulted in the reported
compile errors because that tree (a) was incomplete, and (b) used
features which are simply not in the mainline kernel yet.

Many apologies for the error and problems this has caused. :(

Signed-off-by: Andrew de Quincey <adq_dvb@lidskialf.net>
Signed-off-by: Michael Krufky <mkrufky@linuxtv.org>
Signed-off-by: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>

So no wonder i always had an error when i tried to upgrade to 2.6.17.7 even though i have selected not to include this features. I will try to upgrade to this version later on.

Last night i also had my Slackware laptop with the latest -current updates and i was very satisfied, mostly because Pat has merged Piter Punk's work on udev and sysvinit. Now, Slackware comes with udev-0.96 and it works. I was quite worried about this, as i'm using Piter Punk's packages and i thought it will break my system, but in fact, it didn't break at all. Everything works just fine as long as i read the changelog to put all the .new files on /etc/rc.d/ directory. The only package that was still unofficial is module-init-tools. I tried to use Pat's packages, but my system was messed up, so i still use the old version, but it won't be such a big problem as it works perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment