Saturday, July 14, 2007

Which One Is Better?

Few days ago, my friend told me that he had been using a program called AusLogic Disk Defrag to replace Windows' built in defrag tool. He recommend it to me since i told him that my defrag process took some time and he said that it was too long thus he offered his program to me. So i take a look on the program. It's a freeware, so you can use it without having to buy any license and it's also small in size (1,5 MB).

First thing i had in my head was this question : "Is it safe?" So i browse the site and there's a sentence that said that the program uses safe Windows API to do it's task. Well, it's quite convincing, so i let it run on my desktop. The process was indeed faster than Windows defragmenter program, so my friend's claim was correct.

Today i feel that my system is slower than usual. So i was thinking about the side effect of the program i ran yesterday. So i run Window's defrag program and defrag all of my partitions and i tried to reboot again to compare with previous boot and it became a relative faster again. So i think there has been a difference on how both programs works. Few years back, i have tried using Norton Speed Disk and compare it with Windows' defrag program and my result is that both program use a different approach on how a disk should be defragmented, so if you run Speed Disk and then default defrag program, it could take longer than if you directly run defrag without running Speed Disk first. It also applies for the other side.

So i guess i will stick with Windows' default program, which is slower, but better in performance (on my case). It's a personal opinion, so if you think the program that you use is better, please feel free to choose it big grin

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:17 AM

    I am really skeptical about using free defragmenters. I never found their performance to match up to my expectations (although, admittedly, they are free!)

    For the last 2 years, I have used only commercial defraggers because my work data is very important, and I dont trust freeware programs enough to let them handle it. Before that, I used windows built-in defragger, but it was too slow.


    Currently I use Diskeeper 2007 as my main defragger, and it is a great tool. It defrags very fast, and does so automatically if I use its invistasking mode. It is not free, but definitelty worth the price, for my requirements.

    Just my 2cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the information. Since i have several backups already, i just leave it to Windows built-in defragger for now

    ReplyDelete