Sunday, May 11, 2008

Pidgin Status Changer

Lately, i found out that Pidgin have some problems with their status changer. Sometimes, i changed my status and my contact list didn't see my new status. They will see the new status when they logged out and logged in again (but they will not see my new status if i changed it again).

Few days ago, i tried to install MusicTracker and also AmarokPidgin that does the same thing, change my Pidgin status based on the song title i played on amaroK. AmarokPidgin does work on my system, even though a little bit of hacking is required, but the new status won't be visible to other people (only when they sign in again). I don't know whether it's pidgin's bug or not, but i do hope it will be fixed in the newer version of Pidgin with an updated of meanwhile project.

8 comments:

  1. yeah,, that's true. I've experienced the same thing. And the worst thing, i can't change my status for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yup, hoping it will be fixed in the future

    i was wondering. Is there anybody submit this bug before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope so.. And one thing,, This was happened when i change my status radically. First case, i used purple-remote to change pidgin status. This status is periodically change base on the 'date' command on linux. So every single second i tell pidgin to change its status through purple-remote. I bet you can guess what happened next, the pidgin status stop changing after 5-10 second. The second case, I used amarok script above and just clicked on the 'next play' button rapidly. And then the pidgin status became hang or something. This lead me into one conclusion, dont change your status to often in one time :D ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i once tried to do that also, but it won't change either, so i never tried that again :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use pidgin for few of my IM accounts. The problem is, i want to have different statuses for my accounts. Like my official account needs to be available while my personal account should show me as busy or invisible, i wonder how one could do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't think that's possible, even in YM application

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me more clear on this

    Assume i have 2 IM IDs

    1) foo@yahoo.com - Status = Busy
    2) foo@hotmail.com - Status - Invisible

    Currently i can keep only one status for both of these IDs. Any tip?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Got answer from Support By David Coulson

    Status (At bottom of buddy list)->New Status->Use different status for some accounts

    ReplyDelete