Tuesday, October 21, 2008

New LCD Screen

Thanks to Mrs. Widi, i got a new LCD Screen at my office, replacing the old CRT screen. She asked me whether i wanted to change my current monitor into LCD and i said, "why not?. So in just a few minutes, i got a new LCD and i unpacked the box and set the new LCD on the desk, while i unplugged the old CRT. Switch to the new LCD and voila...

The LCD has 1280x720 resolution, which is supposed to be wide screen. Hm... I don't really like wide screen, because sometimes it uses uncommon resolution, but i don't think i have a choice. My LCD at home wasn't a wide screen (i picked it on purpose, even though the wide screen edition was cheaper). My default resolution on my Slack machine was originally 1024x768, common resolution for nowadays computer desktop/laptop. The display wasn't too good, so i ran a console and tried to configure the xorg.conf using values from gtf command to check the modeline, the X Server failed to use the new configuration.

Thanks to Daniel, i finally set up using xorgsetup which detected all of my devices and load the appropriate modules and also setting up the correct resolution just like i wanted. It's as clear as before. Very nice now....