Monday, April 18, 2011

Upgrading E71 Firmware

I always tried to stay up to date in most of my computer/cellphone applications. The same goes with my E71 firmware. It's been some time since i upgraded my firmware and it was last year since it's April now and Nokia doesn't release a new firmware as often as new Linux Kernel. My previous firmware version was 410.21.010 and now, the latest one is 500.21.009.

Before upgrading the firmware, i need to know the changelog for this firmware, so i browsed the Internet and found the answer. Not only i found the changelog, i also found several problems regarding this firmware. Many people reported that they are having some problems with their camera and GPRS connection after upgrading to the latest firmware. I never had that problem before, so i decided to take the risk by upgrading it.

First thing: BACKUP!!!. Never update your firmware without doing proper (full) backup on your data as in most cases, the process will wipe all of your data. My last backup was in February, so it's also a good timing to backup my data as well. I managed to backup all of my data in about 10 minutes and then i downloaded the latest Nokia PC Suite applicationa and also NSU (Nokia Software Updater) which will update the Nokia PC Suite with the latest firmware for my E71.

Next, the upgrade process. I turned off my E71 and removed my memory card and then turn it on again and start the update process by clicking the updater and plug my E71 to my computer using USB cable. It will detect my phone and start upgrading it. It took about 10-15 minutes until the process completed and while upgrading, it will restart your phone and your phone might look like a dead phone, only displaying a white screen and also other error messages saying that there are hardware problems and blablabla.... Don't worry. It's all part of upgrade process.

Once everything is done, you need to restart your phone and you will have to re-enter all the settings again. This is the worst part of upgrading if you don't have backup. You need to set it up from scratch. If you have backup, simply restore it from your backup and the only thing you have to do is to make sure everything works as intended. In my case, i only need to reinstall three applications after the upgrade process and everything else works like charm.

I don't have problems with camera and my GPRS connection works as before. So far, it's been a nice upgrade process Yahoo

If you are curious about what changes included in this release, check it below:

NEW FUNTIONALITIES:
Following baselines/functionalities have been upgraded.

  • Maps 3.03 Lite which has Free Navigation support
  • Music Player upgrade
  • Quick Office v6.2 which has Office 2007 support
  • Ovi Store upgraded to 1.6.0.18 and Download! Removed
  • Lotus Notes traveler v8.5.1 -> Localization support is present only for 10 languages.

CHANGES AND IMPROVEMENTS:

  • Windows Live removed from the memory card
  • Ovi Suite included in Memory card
  • CS Helps baseline upgraded to fix localization issues
  • Start Up settings baseline upgraded
  • Ovi Store Link provided in “Set Up Internet Telephony”
  • Download! removed

GENERAL

  • Portuguese Localization issues fixed
  • Functionality improvements in E-mail configuration
  • Qwerty keypad improvements

CALL HANDLING

  • Emergency call termination with RSK key corrected
  • Corrected Bluetooth link drop when an outgoing call is made in a carkit

CALENDAR/CLOCK

  • Fix for Israel written instead of Jerusalem in World Clock
  • Corrected Argentina names issue in World Clock
  • Corrected localization issues in world clock

BROWSER

  • CMCC Java application download corrected
  • Fix provided for accessing a link that has appended space characters

EMAIL

  • Fix provided for selecting desired mailbox when multiple mailboxes are configured

QWERTY KEYBOARD

  • Key mapping issues fixed

MESSAGING

  • Nokia IM chat: Localization support provided for Malay and Indonesian languages

6 comments:

  1. i want to know whether the latest upgrade of e71 is the best?
    I feel more comfortable with the the previous firmware 500....
    Is the new firmware hackable

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're fine with it, don't upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Nokia E71-1, as the batteries run out of power way too fast and I'm trying to determine if its the phone or 3's stupid firmware. So I will ask if you can help me.

    The info about my model:

    2x 1500mAh batteries(original, and both with same issue)

    501.21.001
    10-08-2010
    RM-346

    Nokia E71-1 (238.10)

    I have turned off everything that can take power, and set all display values to minimum, set sync and WLAN to only be used manually, Email is run through gmail in messaging center and only manually. I checked with jbaktaskman and there are some apps running in the background:

    SysAp
    Ledcontroller
    vcommandmanager
    DevEncStarter
    essysapp
    Anykey
    Autolock
    screensaver
    akncapserver
    aknnfysrv
    Popnotifierappserver

    There is alot of processes running in the background, more than I can write here.
    Even with this I only have 1½ day battery life, on standby, less if used. That is very little compared to Nokia's own estimate of 17days.

    With kind regards

    JBJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm having some trouble with my Nokia E71-1, as the batteries run out of power way too fast and I'm trying to determine if its the phone or 3's stupid firmware. So I will ask if you can help me.

    The info about my model:

    2x 1500mAh batteries(original, and both with same issue)

    501.21.001
    10-08-2010
    RM-346

    Nokia E71-1 (238.10)

    I have turned off everything that can take power, and set all display values to minimum, set sync and WLAN to only be used manually, Email is run through gmail in messaging center and only manually. I checked with jbaktaskman and there are some apps running in the background:

    SysAp
    Ledcontroller
    vcommandmanager
    DevEncStarter
    essysapp
    Anykey
    Autolock
    screensaver
    akncapserver
    aknnfysrv
    Popnotifierappserver

    There is alot of processes running in the background, more than I can write here. And I don't have a list of which ones need to run or which ones can be disabled.

    I hope you can help me with this, since I need to find out if its the phone or the software that makes me only have 1½ day battery life, on standby, less if used. That is very little compared to Nokia's own estimate of 17days.

    With kind regards

    JBJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure any Nokia phone can last up to 17 days :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nah, but it should last more than the 2 days I can squeeze out of it now:) I know you can't really count on what Nokia writes on their page. So if you don't have any suggestions, then I will buy the 3600mAh Mugen Power battery:)

    With kind regards

    JBJ

    ReplyDelete