Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Mailvelope: GPG + Webmail

Writing an email is like a routine to me and since email can be easily forged, it's kinda important to make sure that your email messages can be verified by other parties so that they won't fall for bogus trap set by other people. One way to do that is by the use of public key cryptography which can be used to generate a digital signature that is secure and non-forgeable.

I use GMail as my primary email account and most of the time, i wrote most of my messages on their website. In the past, there's a nice project called fireGPG that can be installed as Firefox plugins that enables me to write a signed email. Somehow, the project was discontinued in 2010 since GMail changes their internal structures so often.

Another project coming in called WebPG and i tried this one as well. It works partially for me as sometimes it doesn't work nicely. I had some time discussing things with the maintainer and he put a nice effort on this project, but for me it's not stable enough for daily usage.

After two attempts, i finally stopped and i switched to Thunderbird + enigmail extension to write a signed email messages for my other email accounts. It works for me so i'm happy with it.

Today, i searched on Google and found this nice project called Mailvelope that have the same function as previous two projects. I decided to give it a try and it does work for me. I installed it in my Firefox account and luckily, it support GMail and several other providers below:
  • mail.yahoo.com
  • navigator.gmx.net
  • mail.google.com
  • mail.live.com
  • posteo.de
  • web.de
Mailvelope is an open source project, so you can contribute to this project as well. Go to their github account and start contributing.

This should be my last post in 2014.

Happy New Year 2015!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment