Friday, March 26, 2010

Maintaining Server

I have a new side job today, which is maintaining one of the server on my campus. It's a powerful server with Intel i7 and 3 GB as the backend. It's running Slackware 12.2 and it was previously installed and configured by my colleague.

My first task today is reconfiguring PHP so that it could load GD library. I solved this problem by removing php packages from Slackware's packages using removepkg and start compiling PHP from source. It's the best option to get optimum PHP package according to our need. Since it uses i7, the compilation process was very fast and i was really surprised to see how fast it is, even though i was watching the process on ssh session.

I like this new job Yahoo

1 comment:

  1. i guess this one on IT lab, right ?...just remember when i installed this server.. :D

    ReplyDelete