Saturday, August 06, 2011

First Attempt on Linux-3.0

Last night, i tried to download Linux Kernel 3.0 and i want to test this new kernel on my workstation since it has bigger bandwidth and also faster in terms of spec (it has 8 GB of RAM and high speed processors). Since i have openSSH daemon running, i can remotely connect to the computer and do a compilation over the Internet.

I can do full compilation in less than one hour, so it's still acceptable for me while i was doing other activities. At the end, it was compiled successfully and i commit the final steps for the kernel installation procedure and reboot the system to test the new system.

After some time, i tried to connect again to my computer, but it won't responded. I guessed it got kernel panic since that's the only reason why i couldn't connect to the computer. Since it's already at night, i couldn't do anything and just wait until the next day.

This morning, i went to the office and checked my computer and yes, it was a kernel panic. I rebooted and start the old kernel to boot and since Linux Kernel 3.0.1 has been released by Greg, i downloaded the latest stable kernel and recompiled it again this morning.

So far, i haven't rebooted my computer, since i would have to wait until Monday if it got stucked again. Thus, it's still running on Linux Kernel 2.6.39.x branch. I think it's my first kernel panic due to manual compilationlmao

1 comment:

  1. Sounds cool. I've always been a die-hard fan of linux and used it as my primary OS for around 3-4 years before I started using Mac and never managed to get back :(.

    ReplyDelete