Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Migrating Jogja LUG Website

Last week, i was notified that Jogja LUG's website was down because the account was suspended by their hosting provider. I don't know the reason why they got suspended this time (yes, they have been suspended before, but it was on different provider). The admin was out of reach, so the LUG member couldn't do anything about it.

So, i offered them an offer to host the web on a server that was donated by KavaLinux to me. I offered them to use PlanetPlanet instead of going back with WordPress and they agreed.

Next is my turn to work with the server. First, i changed the DNS entry to point to my server while i'm configuring it. Since it took some time to propagate, i can change the server's configuration to host the domain. At first, i had some problems, since the server is using nginx for the webserver, not Apache. Since it's my first time using nginx and also because it has unusual configuration provided by the provider, i need some time to adjust how it works. Luckily, it didn't took that long to complete.

Next is installing Planet Planet applications. Since it's an old application and not updated since 2006, it was dependent to an old Python. So far, i have managed to install PlanetPlanet on other server that uses Python 2.6 and it was working fine. On this server, which is running ArchLinux, the only Python available is 2.7 and 3.1. I tried compiling Python 2.6 using PKGBUILD, but i got the same error messages that i got from using Python 2.7.

Luckily, i found this article which solves my problem.  So, right now the website is running on PlanetPlanet and so far, it's running just fine and i like it. It still need to be polished on many areas, but the good thing is that it's now running well and not just under construction message again.

It's been a while since i was working as the maintainer of the Jogja LUG and now it seems that that position is coming back at me :)