Sunday, April 24, 2011

ASUS-Switcheroo Project

For two years, i have spent my time to find a way to make my NVidia card works on my ASUS laptop since it's a hybrid (it has Intel and NVidia combination). Since i only have Linux on it, and Linux doesn't seem to be supported by Asus, so the only thing i can do with it is disabling NVidia so that it consumes less power than when both of them are working together.

Dave Airlie's switcheroo project doesn't help much, as it doesn't work on my hardware, but there's hope by the new project by A. William called Asus-switcheroo. Basically, he tried to hack Airlie's work but focusing on Asus laptop only. He made it for his ULV30, so what i need now is to try to hack it so that it will work for my ULV80vt Code OK

The script provided only for Fedora, Ubuntu, and ArchLinux. I need to hack it so that it will work on Slackware as well Goodluck

7 comments:

  1. Can you please send me information if you figure it out? I have the same laptop and have been looking for a solution for a while.

    E-mail: bigngamer92@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. any progress regarding slack 13.37

    ReplyDelete
  3. still no luck
    i can switch to DISCRETE graphics, but it ended with a blank state :(

    but i can disable NVidia card to preserve more power

    ReplyDelete
  4. what are you using to switch off nvidia card (acpi_call)???

    Also, if you are getting blank state when typing nvidia in switcheroo.txt... try switching achi in BIOS from enhanced to compatability. Ubuntu users had similar problem... and this solved it.

    I am a super newb to linux, so this all new to me. Should you get it to work, let me know your steps... I would be greatful. Also you check out bumblebee https://lists.launchpad.net/hybrid-graphics-linux/msg01607.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will try that suggestion later when i have spare time. I don't have that at this moment.

    About Bumblebee, it was meant for Optimus VGA cards

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool.

    although bumblebee is meant for optimus, they have gotten it to work for hardware muxed hybrid as well. Basically, the intel integrated chip is always on, but by using the command "optirun XXXXX" xxxxx being an executabe ... a separate instance of x is started and what ever program is designated runs on the discrete nvidia solution. The only draw back being that integrated card is still consuming power as it is running the main x session. How did you impement what you have so far (can you attach or insert code)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just leave it like it was to be. I just disable the NVIdia card to reserve power consumption. As i said before, i don't have time to play with my laptop probably until the end of this year as my schedule is so tight

    ReplyDelete