Thursday, October 22, 2009

Trying Arch Linux

I just had a talk with my friend in the US using Skype. We talked about Linux, especially Slackware and Arch Linux. He was a Slackware users, but recently, he migrate to Arch Linux. He told me the benefits of Arch Linux and honestly, i'm a little bit interested of trying Arch Linux.

So finally i decided that i will try Arch Linux on my VMWare machine, because i don't want to mess up with my Slackware. The ISO is only 344 MB and it will only contain the basic packages. The rest of the package will be downloaded from Arch Linux repositories across the globe big grin. It's more like a Gentoo, but it uses binary instead of compiling every source packages.

Let's hope i have time to try Arch Linux Rocking Banana

2 comments:

  1. Try it...you won't regret. Arch is awesome...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Arch is Gentoo-like in the fact that both are rolling releases. However, in Gentoo packages take more time to get into stable tree. Gentoo people work hard on stability. Arch on the other hand is rather bleeding edge I would say.

    Comparing pacman on Arch and portage on Gentoo, portage is far superior as a package manager. Above all, Gentoo has a nice community which Arch lacks. its funny I solved my Arch problems on #gentoo.

    ReplyDelete