Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Linux Kernel 2.6.38.6

The latest -Stable kernel has been raised again after Greg released a new version : 2.6.38.6. This is a maintenance update, so no new feature are included, only bug fixes and minor changes. Even though Greg urges users to upgrade to this version, it's wiser to look at the ChangeLog to decide whether you really need to upgrade to this version or not.

Personally, i don't really see any important updates in this release, so if you have no problem with your current kernel (2.6.38.x series), you can stay with it until 2.6.39 comes up in probably a week or two Russian Emot

5 comments:

  1. Hey willysr, just wondering if you were able to get 2.6.38.6 to compile all the way through to the modules on Slackware 13.37. I was able to get .5 to compile fine, but with the release of .6 I get warnings during "make" that cause "make modules" to fail. Wondering if it's just .6...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will test it on my fast machine and i will tell you the results later.

    It should work as this is a maintenance release

    FYI, i used a custom kernel, not by building it using Pat's SlackBuild

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dimm0k,

    Linux Kernel 2.6.38.6 is fine here on my machine. I just built it using the same configuration as my previous 2.6.38.4 and it works as intended

    uname -a
    Linux office 2.6.38.6-smp #1 SMP Tue May 10 21:59:27 WIT 2011 i686 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for trying it out! Hrmm, I'm using Pat's config for 2.6.38.4-generic and manually compiling with no changes to the config at all. I've made a post about this in linuxquestions.org to see if anyone else is able to compile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those warnings can be ignored

    ReplyDelete