Friday, October 29, 2010

Air Asia Web Check In

Last night, i tried the new feature from Air Asia: Web Check In. The concept is simple. You can now print your own boarding pass up to seven days before your departure date from your house and you will have more time at the airport (mostly if you don't have any luggage since you don't have to queue).

I must admit that it makes easier for the users to have better flight experience, but in the other hand, if it's functioning, then it can make problems. This is what i experienced when trying Air Asia's Web Check In.

I'm leaving to Jakarta today with several of my family members and i'm planning to do a web check in in order to speed up things, but ended up with a split seats. I bought 6 tickets and i didn't choose to pick a seat (another paid feature from Air Asia which enables you to pick your own seat) because i think i can have the seat close to each other when doing the check in at the airport.

The problem arose when i tried to print the boarding pass after i selected all the passengers that were listed on the itinerary. Even though it listed all of them, but when i print the page, it will only print the first passenger and not the others. In the end, i have to re-print the boarding pass and i got a split seat for some of us.

Another problem that has been around for some time, but it hasn't been fixed by the airways is the session management. I think they are quite messed up for such big company. I know they can do better than that Gym

My suggestion for now:
  • If you don't have luggage and only travelling alone, use the web check in
  • If you are travelling with other people and want to have seat next to each other, don't use the web check in (until Air Asia fixed the printing problem).

13 comments:

  1. Can you please clarify this for me: if I use web check in, I do not have to go to the counter 1 hour before the flight when check in closes? I can go straight to the customs and boarding gate, is this right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, you don't have to go to the counter again UNLESS you have a baggage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.

    If I am using a laptop to do web check-in, could I print my boarding pass somewhere in the airport(LCCT)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can send the boarding pass to your mobile phone and use the barcode printing machine in the airport to print it

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your reply!

    But I don't have a smartphone by now, I just have a laptop only. Just wonder whether the boarding pass can be saved into the pendrive and printed it out with the printing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    I buy tickets today (28 March 2012) for 2 December 2012,
    Can I web check-in now or I need to wait for 1 hour/4 hours then i can web check-in?
    What is the rules for the web check-in?
    I got confused here.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's said "You’ll be able to check-in upon booking confirmation and up to 1 hour (AK/FD/QZ) or 4 hours (D7) before the scheduled departure time." so that means yes, you can perform a check in right now up to 1 hour (AK/FD/QZ) and 4 hours (D7) before your departure times

      For example, you pick QZ flight and your flight departure is 2 PM on April 1, that means, you can perform web check in right now until 1 PM on April 1.

      Delete
  6. hy,

    I hve booked the ticket on 2nd may 2012 from chennai to kl and i have luggage of 15kg with me. And we are 2 adult and one child..can you please suggest when is the best time to web check in ? for the smooth process

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do web check in anytime, starting from the day you booked your ticket until 4 hours of your departure time.

      Delete
  7. DO i need to pay extra if i don't use the web check in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Indonesia, you have to pay about 30000 IDR (~ 3 USD) if you check in in the counter without using web check in. I don't know if it apply to other country as well or not

      Delete