Wednesday, June 04, 2008

10 Ways to Improve Your Memory for School

Are you having trouble with school because your memory isn't what it used to be? Memory loss can occur as we grow older, but there are ways to slow this down or stop it altogether. Students should be very keen on improving their memory, as it will help them to retain information for tests. Below are 10 ways to improve your memory.
  1. Sleep at least eight hours a day. Sleep deprivation is a leading factor in temporary memory loss.
  2. Eat a well-balanced diet and drink plenty of water. A healthy body really does lead to a healthier mind.
  3. Keep your brain active with puzzles and brainteasers. Playing Sudoku, for example, can give your mind a little workout.
  4. Relax! Stress can also lead to memory loss, so try to chill out whenever you can. Breathing exercises can help you out during a really stressful period.
  5. Repeat things you wish to learn. If you are studying for a test, for instance, you will want to read the same material several times so you can retain the information.
  6. Determine whether you learn better with visuals or audio. Then, adapt your studying accordingly. If you learn better by hearing things, then record your professors instead of taking notes in class.
  7. Pay closer attention to the things going on around you. Are you the type of person to zone out on the couch or in your desk at school? If so, then train your brain to absorb information by being more observant.
  8. Don't cram for a test. By waiting for the last minute to study, you will overload your brain. It takes several repetitions before you really retain something.
  9. Stay organized. From your home to your car, you should keep things neat and tidy. Believe it or not, a tidy life will help you keep a tidier mind.
  10. Keep distractions to a minimum when you are learning something new. If this means listening to calmer music or living with quieter roommates, do it.

This article is contributed by Heather Johnson, who regularly writes on the topic of balance transfer credit cards. She invites your questions and writing job opportunities at her personal email address: heatherjohnson2323 at gmail dot com

2 comments:

  1. "Don't cram for a test."

    From my personal experience, cramming for a test is actually a good (well, almost) strategy for school for some select subjects.

    I read ALL of the materials for a test beginning at 4am to about 6 or 7.

    Then get shower, breakfast, etc.

    Only to read ALL of them again and again and again. From start to finish. And AGAIN. Just start all over again from the beginning right after finishing the stuffs. Not memorizing anything, just reading over and over again.

    I do it until I get to the class for the test.

    That way, I filled my brain ONLY with the exam materials. I forget everything else.

    Do the test. Get out.

    (Of course, because it's only stay on my short term memory, so I lost everthing even right after the test is over. But most of them are useless anyway, such as PMP/PPKn, PKK, PSPB, Sejarah, MuLok, etc. I don't want to remember those things for the rest of my life!)

    I was able to get through most of my SD and SMP using this method with flying colors.

    DISCLAIMER: This is absolutely NOT working for mathematics, physics, english, or anything else that use logic over plain memorization. And surely it DOES NOT work for Thesis (believe me on this one) ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tips! I think the main issue with memory is people are unaware of how easy it is to follow some simple steps and get great results. I wish I learned this earlier in life. I have posted about my memory improvement technique experiences and regrets if you would like to take a look.

    ReplyDelete